We created an Augmented Reality postcard for Liverpool John Moores University. The card was designed to Congratulate students on their results.
Postcards were sent to all applicants, inviting them to scan the QR/AR code. Once scanned, a box would appear in augmented reality. The lid of the box is removed and the sides fall to the ground, revealing two custom characters dancing with the words “Congratulations” above.
We used a combination of 3D modelling, AR.js and Three.js to create this.
Students received a postcard containing the QR/AR code. This code can be scanned through a smartphone or tablet, once redirected to the LJMUAR site, the user can view augmented reality models and can interact with them.
What was needed
- 3D models for the two custom characters.
- Animations for the dancing characters.
- Animations for the box.
- Small custom models of LJMU related items.
- 3D website capable of AR.
- Particle effects for celebration fireworks.
The strategy for this site began with our collaboration with the LJMU marketing team, who had some great ideas about what new and interesting marketing techniques they wanted to explore. Scenegraph Studios provided additional ideas, helping to direct the design based on what would work well in AR and what would be available in Web3D.
Our Strategy Concludes.
- Collaboration – Working with the LJMU Marketing Team to understand their needs.
- Testing – Checking the site in multiple phones, tablets and browsers.
- Marketing – We set up Google Analytics to understand the client base in order to create more effective sites in the future.
Try the Congratulations Post Card by scanning the QR/AR code (best results are when the QR/AR code is flat on a table, as if it was printed on a post card)